By Marcel van Ackeren
• First number of its sort to fee new cutting-edge scholarship on Marcus Aurelius
• Features readings that conceal all facets of Marcus Aurelius, together with resource fabric, biographical details, and writings
• Contributions from a world forged of most sensible Aurelius scholars
• Addresses evolving features of the reception of the Meditations
Read or Download A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
This booklet offers for the 1st time a heritage of Eretria through the Archaic period, the city's so much extraordinary interval of political value and Keith Walker examines all of the significant components of the city's luck. one of many key elements explored is Eretria's function as a pioneer coloniser in either the Levant and the West - its early Aegaen 'island empire' anticipates that of Athens by means of greater than a century, and Eretrian delivery and exchange used to be equally common.
Greek Nymphs: Myths, Cult, Lore is the 1st complete research of the nymph within the historical Greek international. This well-illustrated e-book examines nymphs as either non secular and mythopoetic figures, tracing their improvement and value in Greek tradition from Homer during the Hellenistic interval. Drawing upon a large diversity of literary and archaeological proof, Jennifer Larson discusses sexually robust nymphs in historical and sleek Greek folklore, using dolls representing nymphs within the socialization of ladies, the phenomenon of nympholepsy, the nymphs' family with different deities within the Greek pantheon, and the nymphs' position in mythic narratives of city-founding and colonization.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2014 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, notice: 1,3, Universität zu Köln, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Kein weiterer identify scheint mit den Perserkriegen auf eine ähnliche artwork und Weise verbunden wie der des Herodot von Harlikarnassos, schuf er doch mit den Historien ein Werk von außerordentlicher Bedeutung.
From its earliest days, Christianity has considered Judaism and Jews ambiguously. Given its roots in the Jewish neighborhood of first-century Palestine, there has been a lot in Judaism that demanded church admiration and compliment; even though, as Jews persisted to withstand Christian fact, there has been additionally a lot that needed to be condemned.
- A History of Earliest Italy (Routledge Revivals)
- Die griechische Kolonisation am Beispiel Italiens (German Edition)
- Amheida I: Ostraka from Trimithis, Volume 1 (Institute for the Study of the Ancient World)
- The Emperor and the Army in the Later Roman Empire, AD 235–395
Additional info for A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Marcus Aurelius (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Marcel van Ackeren